Monday, January 29, 2024

Potluck Eulogy

So now we're nearing the end
And the only things I found to hold up to the light
Are potlucks and death
Casting similar shadows
Of what the fuck am I doing
And what does it matter
Everyone liked the grapes and PBR, by the way
In case you were searching for a eulogy
Oh man, that must mean the whole story
Like eukaryotic and Eucharist
The whole body at work
Listen, I'd crush a stack of holy wafers
Washed down with cheap wine transfigured
Say what you want about the Church,
But Lord I miss the taste of Jesus 
Things they don't sell at the dépanneur!
And things you're not supposed to say!
Not since we left the ancient ways of knowing.
Anyway, I found there is a certain charm
To me bringing PBR to the party
They all say, "Ah! L'américaine!"
And I pledge allegiance to Milwaukee 
We're all dying soon, let's let fun be fun
And fun for me is not necessarily
Other people
The time to leave the party is when 
The grapes are gone and all that's left
Is a wilting winter silhouette
Lain to rest in perforated plastic 

1 comment: