Tuesday, January 30, 2024

stories from school

My student Eve is 12

And when it’s her turn to pick the music

She picks imagine dragons 

Every time


When it’s someone else’s turn

And she recognizes the song

She says

Oh I know this melody


Today, Calvin Harris

We dance together

Without speaking

Silent eye contact


My student Shem is 13

July cancer sensitive 

He chirps like a baby animal 

For every greeting


When I come in the lunch room

He says hi Owllie

I wonder how you’re doing.

And waits for my answer


When the robotics coding mechanism

Wasn’t working 

He hit his forehead on the wall

And wailed 


My student Jason is 13

And carries a paper with him that says

I said something wrong

But it doesn’t mean I’m a bad person


He tells me about his jealousy

And asks me if I ever feel jealous

Oh yes, I certainly do

It’s one of my least favorite feelings


My student Manus is 8

He calls me Cherry 

Or Seedling

Hi Cherry! Good morning Seedling!


He tries to surprise me 

Sneak up yell BOO!

If he doesn’t scare me he groans

And says well tell me how to do it next time


Educator’s vow:

I will do my best everyday

My students will survive me

5 comments: